Skip to main content

Qatargas Sustainability Report wins award

Published by
LNG Industry,


Qatargas has won the Best Overall Sustainability Report award for Qatar’s Industry and Energy Sector. The award is in recognition of its 2013 Sustainability Report, which offers key updates on the company’s economic, social and environment performance during last year.

Receiving the award, Abdulaziz Al Mannai, Acting Chief Operating Officer – Administration, Qatargas, said: “We at Qatargas are extremely proud to receive this prestigious award. It is the result of sincere work and dedication by a cross-functional team we formed for this purpose and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for a job well done. Preparation of the 2013 Sustainability Report provided us with a valuable opportunity to reflect on the progress we made in different fields related to sustainability. This award represents our commitment to further advance the company’s sustainability agenda in full alignment with the 2015 vision of Qatargas and the four main development pillars of the Qatar National Vision 2030.

“The Sustainable Development Industry Reporting (SDIR) Programme, led by Qatar Petroleum’s HSE directorate, has provided us with a platform to be part of a sector-wide initiative that focuses on improving its contribution to all elements of our national aspirations. We appreciate the great work done by the Qatar Petroleum team in raising the sustainability profile of the State of Qatar through this unique initiative.”

LNG close to capacity

Qatargas’ 2013 Sustainability Report includes data for the past four years as well as insight into the company’s future activities towards its 2015 vision. The report highlights the significant milestones achieved by the company in several areas. It mentions that in 2013, Qatargas produced LNG close to the full capacity of its facilities and will continue to do so into the near future. Over the next three years, Qatargas will continue to expand production of other gas-derived products, helping to deliver cleaner diesel to Qatar.

LNG shipments

Last year, Qatargas also delivered first shipments of LNG to four new terminals including one in Singapore, one in Malaysia, and two in China. Each of these shipments was used to commission an ever-growing list of LNG terminals being developed across Asia. Furthermore, three new Sales and Purchase Agreements (SPAs) were signed with some of the world’s largest utility service providers in 2013.

Environment

In the field of environment, Qatargas achieved a 20% reduction in total hydrocarbon flaring from LNG assets and a reduction in water consumption as compared with previous years. The company also accomplished 20 million safe working hours for its Jetty Boil-Off Gas Recovery Project.

The Qatarisation rate advanced to 26% and the average training hours per employee rose from 24.7 hours in 2012 to 28.7 hours in 2013. Qatargas also spent 44% of its procurement budget on locally-based suppliers and contractors in 2013. These key developments were combined with a 70% rise in the company’s social and community investment spending.


Adapted from press release by

Read the article online at: https://www.lngindustry.com/liquefaction/24062014/qatargas_sustainability_report_wins_award_837/


 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):